Christ the King Catholic Academy (part of BEBCMAT – The Blessed Edward Bamber Multi Academy Trust) is consulting on proposed changes to the admissions policy to take effect for academy admissions for September 2022. The proposed changes will affect new applications for Years Reception to Y6 in Christ the King Catholic Academy (from September 2022 onwards).
Proposed Changes to the Admissions Policy for Years Reception to Y6
The proposed changes under Christ the King’s oversubscription criteria are:
- Point 9 would read - Children of staff employed by BEBCMAT (removal of the phrase… for two or more years or who have been recruited to meet a particular skills shortage’)
- Points 10 and 11 would change order to align across the Trust
- Add a new point 12 – Children of other faiths
- New point 13 would read – Other children whose parents/carers wish them to be educated within the ethos and values of a Roman Catholic Academy
In line with the School Admissions Code, admission authorities are required to consult on their admission policy whenever they would like to make a change. We are proposing these changes in part to align the wording and order of the criteria across the Trust.In accordance with the Admissions Code, a consultation period must run for a minimum of six weeks and take place between 1 October and 31 January. The process allows parents, other schools, local authorities and other interested stakeholders to raise comments orconcerns about the proposed arrangements. This document is particularly for the attention of parents, other admissions authorities, the local authority and other local dioceses. This consultation will run between Monday 7th December 2020 and Friday 29th January 2021. Information on how you can respond can be found below.
The Process of the Consultation
The consultation is being communicated by BEBCMAT as follows:
- Notification to the Diocese of Lancaster
- Notification to Blackpool Local Authority
- Notification to Lancashire Local Authority
- Notification to BEBCMAT trustees.
- Notification to all parents, carers and guardians of students at the Academy by letter and through the Academy website.
- Headteachers of all primary schools in the authority.
On conclusion of the consultation on Friday 29th January 2021, all responses will be collated and presented to the Trust Board for full consideration. The outcome of the consultation will be notified to all parents by the end of February 2020 with a full report posted on the Academy website. Consultation outcome, and a final revised policy, will also be presented to Blackpool Council Admissions by 28th February 2021 ahead of application process for applications for 2022/23 entry.
Why is the academy consulting on changes?
We are required to do in line with the admissions code. Schools and academies are legally required to consult every seven years or if they are proposing some changes to the Admissions Policy.
Will all current and future parents be aware of any proposed changes?
How will I know the outcome of the consultation?
The consultation will be completed and all contributions referred to the BEBCMAT trust board for consideration. Outcomes of the consultation will be published on the Academy Website and will be listed under the policies section.
Will my child still be able to get a place at Christ the King Catholic Academy?
As with all schools, this will depend on where you and your child sit on the categories laid out in the proposed admissions criteria. We can assure parents that applying for Christ the King as your first choice ahead of the initial application closing date in January and providing proof of faith, gives you the very best chance of securing a place.